Sunday, November 29, 2009

Socialite Dress

This is the Socialite dress by Anna Maria Horner. Fabric also AMH -tablecloth in brown. This was an easy pattern, no zips, buttons. The gathering onto the yoke worried me but it all seemed to come together without problems. Centering the yoke pieces on such a strong print was tricky but really pleased with how the patterning worked out on the yoke. Next time I'll make the armholes bigger as a bit tight for my liking. My five year old took the photo and I think she did a pretty good job. Taken pre Thanksgiving dinner. Debating if I may use some of my Amy Butler Love for another version.
Hmm must get my roots done again....

Ottobre 3/2009 three way dress

I finished this dress for my oldest daughter some time ago but haven't got around to blogging it. This pattern is very sweet and I will make it again. Can also be made without the cap sleeves or with a full puff sleeve. I could have made a size smaller. Love the Andalucia fabric

Monday, November 23, 2009

Friday, November 6, 2009

The 'Zebra' skirt

Here are the pictures. I really liked Georgie in black and white but was just so hard to get her to wear these colours. The black and white clip was one I'd incidentally had put away in the drawer.

Now maybe a 'zebra' for moi as well. What do you think? Is a lovely heavy weight stretch cotton drill and I think would look fab as a little A-line skirt

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Zebra Skirt

Tonight I whipped up a little black and White skirt for Georgie. This week at centre stage the colour is black. Miss G told me that is a 'yucky colour' and she didn't want to wear it. While at Spotlight today I was trying to entice her with some cute spots, but no. Then a graphic stripe a bit like a zebra caught my eye. Obviously zebra stripes in the eyes of a three year old is much more cool. Will post a picture tomorrow

Monday, November 2, 2009


A good night was had by all. An hour beforeTrick or treating the heavens opened . The rest of the evening proceeded umbrellas in hand so no shots from later in the evening. No great pics of the 'good witch' cape in pink so another time....

Halloween cupcakes



One of the capes- on the far right being worn by another child

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Leila and Ben sweet little dress

Well after quite a drought I finally got something else finished. I used some of my Jim Thompson butterfly fabric that I bought at the factory outlet in Bangkok. Georgie will hopefully wear it to Centre stage tomorrow- a little group I take her to on Friday mornings. They have a colour each week and sure enough tomorrow is grey so I guess she can wear all colours except for....Is a cute quick and easy pattern that I noticed on some other blogs

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Oliver and S popover dresses

My next project was two popover dresses. This is an easy pattern- in 4 hours I managed to cut out and make two of them.
I got to try out my Clover bias tape maker. I love these little gadgets as they give such a professional look.
I did find the dresses quite wide at the shoulders so could have made the dresses a size smaller.
I did the internal seams as french seams and edged the babushka doll dress with lace. The girls gave them a whirl the next morning at the zoo . Note the white tiger prowling in the background.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Retromummy giveaway

Well not much sewing happening here this weekend, but maybe a new pattern from retromummy's giveaway would inspire....

Sunday, September 13, 2009

My next project

This is the next one.
Had to show you the fabric, the pink babushka print is just too cute!

Oliver & S Lazy days skirts

For my next project I decided to try this easy pattern that can be downloaded form the Oliver & S website for free. I love the detailing at the hem.
I admit this fabric choice was inspired by another skirt on the flickr site for Oliver and S but I just loved the combination. My big mistake was to cut the Grosgrain ribbon before attaching as when I sewed, the fabric stretched and on one end was a fraction short requiring me to sew on bit extra which looks slightly untidy. My advice leave a long price or cut afterwards.
I also made these cute little flower hair ties inspired by this

They were so cute and quick and easy to run up. One tip make sure is a wide running stitch, I did a nor row one on my first attempt and would not gather up as tightly and then the centre was too big for the button. Next time I would also use a slightly bigger button at the centre. I made covered buttons in matching fabric. Would also be great for decorating clothing or craft projects

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

And so I begin

My inaugural post. You'll have to excuse my amateurish design until I get the hang of all this. After a creative drought with all those sleepless nights with young children I'm rediscovering how much fun it can all be. I think it also provides some balance for my alter ego as a part time working mum. My first foray back into sewing has been skirts for my two daughters but only the toddler would oblige for this photo shoot. Pleased with learning how to do a rolled hem on my machine. As you'll come to know I'm a fan of colour- it makes me feel happy. Looking forward to following the creative paths of others