Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Oliver and S popover dresses

My next project was two popover dresses. This is an easy pattern- in 4 hours I managed to cut out and make two of them.
I got to try out my Clover bias tape maker. I love these little gadgets as they give such a professional look.
I did find the dresses quite wide at the shoulders so could have made the dresses a size smaller.
I did the internal seams as french seams and edged the babushka doll dress with lace. The girls gave them a whirl the next morning at the zoo . Note the white tiger prowling in the background.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Retromummy giveaway

Well not much sewing happening here this weekend, but maybe a new pattern from retromummy's giveaway would inspire....

Sunday, September 13, 2009

My next project

This is the next one.
Had to show you the fabric, the pink babushka print is just too cute!

Oliver & S Lazy days skirts

For my next project I decided to try this easy pattern that can be downloaded form the Oliver & S website for free. I love the detailing at the hem.
I admit this fabric choice was inspired by another skirt on the flickr site for Oliver and S but I just loved the combination. My big mistake was to cut the Grosgrain ribbon before attaching as when I sewed, the fabric stretched and on one end was a fraction short requiring me to sew on bit extra which looks slightly untidy. My advice leave a long price or cut afterwards.
I also made these cute little flower hair ties inspired by this

They were so cute and quick and easy to run up. One tip make sure is a wide running stitch, I did a nor row one on my first attempt and would not gather up as tightly and then the centre was too big for the button. Next time I would also use a slightly bigger button at the centre. I made covered buttons in matching fabric. Would also be great for decorating clothing or craft projects